Ikea Hack: Stylish Etagere!

June 15, 2012 by admin

Oh my gosh, I can’t believe this transformation!  So you know those oh-so-stylish brass etageres that create the perfect balance of height and display with a touch of metallic luxury?  You know, like these from House & Home’s story on Tommy Smythe and Lonny Magazine?

Design by Tommy Smythe; House & Home Magazine

Lonny Magazine

Gorgeous right?  Well can you believe what Ana Antunes (found via Little Green Notebook) did with this affordable Ikea version?  She painted this $90 Ikea VITTSJO shelving unit gold!  You could do gold leaf the shelf (been there done that) or use one of the new metallic spray paints (that’s what I’d do!) and get this luxe look for muuuuuuuuch less!  Check out the before and after!

Ikea’s VITTSJO $90

AMAZING!!!

A little metallic spray paint and you’re golden (bah ha ha!)

Why not give it a try?  Hey wait, this would be perfect in my store!!!

1. That looks great! Perfect transformation. Saw you on Marilyn – I’m new to sewing too. ;)

2. Alix says:

love it – I may just have to try this! I often paint picture frames gold using good old antique gold craft paint from the dollar store.

3. Deirdre says:

I’m heading both to Ikea and then the hardware store for spray paint, ASAP!!

4. Kelly says:

agree with everyone. looks great. love the lamp too – but is that a floor lamp and a table lamp side by side?

5. Daniel says:

This is exceptional.

6. Carol Anne says:

I would maybe go a little farther and change out the glass shelves to mirror, so sorry I do not have a place for one of these… I got the tape out and checked sad face….

7. Mary says:

According to Ikea website, the shelf shown is 39 3/8″ wide, (only $90!) but they also have a smaller one (same height & depth) that is only 20 1/8″ wide for just $40. Hmm. Wonder how much S&H will be, ’cause unfortunately, there is no Ikea near me…