What's not to love about Whitby?

May 25, 2012 by admin

Since I was 6 I’ve lived in Whitby Ontario (with a 2 year stint in Toronto) and now I live next door in Oshawa (or Poshawa for you, my loyal readers!).  Whitby is a beautiful town full of so many wonderful places and its where I chose to set up shop and  establish Penney & Company.  My goal is to establish deep roots in this community and create a gathering place for creative types seeking to express themselves through their homes.  I can’t think of a prettier place to do it…here’s a taste of Whitby.  And if you’re not local, you should come visit!

Whitby may have a lot of new development (seems like everyone’s caught the bug!) but it is also home to some gorgeous historic homes and neighbourhoods.  Penney & Co is a short walk from most of the houses shown here.

The downtown core has some charming historic buildings, including this stretch of century homes that have been connected with a long verandah to create Pearson Lanes.  Full of boutiques, salons and a tea room or two, its a very pretty place to take a stroll.

Rousseau’s is one of Whitby’s oldest and most inspiring home decor shops.  Full of fine pieces and tons of fabrics and custom options, its definitely worth a visit.  I’ve even used Rousseau’s pieces in House & Home photo shoots in the past!

If you are making a day of it, there are lots of great local eateries, like this converted old house called Prego for amazing Italian faire.

Historic charm meets modern achievement with old churches and civic buildings alongside futuristic spaces like the beautiful Whitby Public Library (which also has a great cafe seen here).

The Nice Bistro (Nice, as in France) is the go-t0 spot for authentic french food with the most warm and friendly husband and wife team you’ll ever meet. And the crepes!?  Yum!

The downtown strip where Penney & Company, is has lots of salons and spas and interesting places to check out.  There’s a fantastic cupcake shop, a seriously skilled butcher, health food shop, I could go on…

Well I’m guessing you can see why I love my hometown, Whitby and am happy to count Penney & Company as part of the local community.  There’s lots to appreciate here and always more to discover.  Like the lakefront!  But I’ll save that for a later post…

1. Deirdre says:

I can see why you love you hometown! Whitby does look lovely! As I have said before, I do hope to get to visit one day soon!

2. Marilyn says:

Beautiful pictures and love your comments!

• Thanks Marilyn! There’s more I will show later – like a gorgeous park in the centre of town with a beautiful gazebo and as I said, the lakefront, which has all roses that bloom in June. Its a nice town for sure!

3. You’re making me homesick! :) Looking forward to going back to my parents for a couple of weeks this summer… and hopefully this time I will make it to your shop. The two times I tried to go before we moved, were failed attempts.

4. Kelly says:

Gorgeous town and kudos on excellent marketing to encourage visits from us out of towners!

5. Barb says:

Moving ? :)

I’ve only had the pleasure of visiting Whitby once,in late autumn,a particularly glorious Indian summer day. We strolled downtown & had lunch at a great pub. Our Airedale terrier,Ian especially enjoyed himself. I hope we’re able to visit again one day- Penney & Co. will be top of our list.

7. Kent says:

Don’t forget a world class marina too!

8. Lauren says:

I love this neighbourhood! Every time I go out for a walk I notice another interesting house or building! Thanks for showcasing some of my favourites.

9. Maggie says:

My Father has always sung the praises of Whitby – now matter where he goes he will let people know of the great Town he comes from! Great pictures and glad you feel the same!

10. Thanks for the suggestions about other things to do in Whitby as I hope to make a day of it soon and visit your shop.