Mail Order Martha! NEW Book – Martha's Entertaining

January 6, 2012 by admin

Last night after a verrrry long day (12+ hours actually) I came home to something very special (and that’s besides the candle-lit dinner from the still on vacation Sara).  It was a magical cardboard package waiting on the dining room sideboard.  I immediately said, “OoooooOOoooh!”  because I knew what it was – the NEW Martha’s Entertaining book!  It’s one of three books I recently ordered online with some Christmas gift card funds and I couldn’t wait to tear it open.  After the candle-lit dinner of course!

Almost, “brown paper packages tied up with strings”.  Well tied up with packing tape.

Yaaaaaayyyyyy!!!!  It’s here!!!

Now this is really breaking one of my rules (not peaking ahead but instead, reading cover to cover) but I cracked it open for your benefit.

Okay if this old car shot isn’t a sign, I don’t know what is!!!

So I’ve only read a tiny bit (twelve hour day doesn’t leave much time to read!) but I love it so far.  Here’s why:  although I’m not the biggest foodie and this is an entertaining book, it gives many a glimpse into Martha’s own homes.  The dinners, breakfasts and parties photographed weren’t set up as a ‘story’ but were real events she had over three years and captured on film.  The photography style is loose and natural, and the light is incredible.  I’ve been a little let down by the photography/light/staged-factor in MSL magazine for the past few years  - the oldies from the 1990′s and early 2000′s are the best – and this book feels like a return to that style.

If you want to pick up a copy (the shipping is free!) try amazon.ca or indigo.ca.  It’s going to be a well used classic!

1. Danielle says:

Oooh, looks like a good indulgence – enjoy! Happy weekend!

Ah,yes Martha. The other woman in many relationships. Though we love Martha,our running joke is “Don’t be a Martha!” when one of us are a little “too” or when a task is completed ( like dinner) and someone swoops in for the glory “May I help ?” it’s “Yes,Martha,dear”. Perhaps just our twisted sense of humour.
    On a serious note did you hear that Martha’s show is being cancelled? Boo! Even though I seldom have seen it… darn pesky work!

Oh,and did you hear that JCPenney will be opening “Martha” boutiques in most of their stores,complete with seminars,etc? I believe they will have specially trained staff to ensure that the Martha standards are adhered to. So something else to explore on your next trip to Maine or south of the border.

4. Kristin says:

One of life’s little pleasures is getting mail you’ve been waiting for! Anna and I walk to the mail box most afternoons. She loves carrying it back to the house!

5. Tracey says:

I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Tessa says:

this book was one of my favorite christmas gifts. i bought one for my mum too. gorgeous photography + styling! {though she said nothing was staged for the book they were all real parties. hmmm…} happy new year to you!