Here’s a perfectly summery DIY idea you might want to try. They’re called sand candles and when you’re done the candles have a lovely beachy feeling to add some casual breezy summer style to your table or mantle at home.
I think a large part of the success of this Classic Martha Stewart craft comes from the colour palette. You won’t see any bright bold hues here – just serene bottle glass colours that make sense with the beachy direction of this look. I also love the idea of using old glass bottles as the moulds!
The rough how-to involves:
1) melting parafin wax from a craft store in an old pot (or coffee can),
2) adding some colouring,
3) using a tub, sand and some bottles or glasses to create your candle mould,
4) using a candle wick and little metal wick base (also from a craft store),
5) pouring in the coloured, melted wax,
6) letting it cool completely,
7) unmoulding and brushing off excess sand. And voila!
This is a really pretty tablescape with candles the colour of sunset. The small glass pedestals and saucers are a nice touch and add height to the arrangement and keep a nice organic up and down going on.
You can also experiment with sea shells, tea light holders or juice glasses and create your own sand candle masterpieces. Give it a try!