Our House!

July 19, 2011 by admin

This week houseandhome.com has published a whole gallery of shots from our house in Oshawa, Ontario.  Check it out for all of the befores and afters!

I’m so glad there’s a spot now with all of the images together (shot by the lovely and talented Donna Griffith) and now any one who missed the June issue of House & Home Magazine can get a peek!

Hope you enjoy!

Design by Michael Penney; Photography by Donna Griffith; House & Home Magazine, June 2011

1. You did such a fabulous job (no surprise). Of course I devoured the June 2011 Issue of House & Home, but I don’t think I could EVER get tired of looking at every single beautiful room in your home.

I share my favourites from around blog land every Friday on my blog – and I’d like to link back to this post… for those poor souls who have yet to see your gorgeous home! :)

2. Dharma says:

Ontario girl here. Loved the H&H spread. Your style is so comfortable and so pared back. Love it. Over from House of Turquoise. Thanks for the reminder of th pot rack over the stove idea, I’d forgotten that and it’s perfect for my sister’s new apartment :) Cheers – Dharma

3. Gail says:

WOW….I just LOVE your house. You certainly have made it so warm and inviting and every detail is a delight. In the 50′s, when I was a young girl, my parents bought me a piano almost exactly like the one you have. I love seeing
    the way you’ve updated it with wonderful accessories. Thank you for sharing your beautiful home.

• That’s so great Gail! You know what? That piano was MY mom’s from when she was a girl. Her parents bought it at the Yorkdale mall and it move with them from house to house – even to Newfoundland for a while and back to Toronto. I learned on it as a kid too and now it’s in our house, memories and all. Your right though, the styling helps, although I was just noticing how huge that lamp looks in the shot. It’s not so big in real life, is it? Hmmmmm….

4. Sue says:

I really love your style! There are so many similarities to my own home, including turquoise furnishings in the front hall. :)

Do you have pets? I really want Dash and Albert rugs but worry that they will look horrible after a short time. Stained and discoloured from kitty barf.

Thanks, Sue

• Thanks Sue! I would recommend the Dash & Albert indoor outdoor line for you – they’re made of synthetic materials that are tough as nails and can handle lots of scrubbing. Apparently you can even bleach them! Plus they come in great diamond patterns that are very Stark carpet line if you know what I mean. Good luck!

5. jen says:

I LOVE THIS HOUSE! Do you know where the dhurrie in the living room came from?

• I think you mean the blue and white striped one in the den – it’s from Dash & Albert – visit them online – it’s a great site and I love their stuff! If you meant the jute one in the living room it’s from Pottery Barn!

6. Karen says:

Your home is magnificent, I love every detail.

7. Tiffany says:

What a lovely home, absolutely gorgeous! So happy for you both!

8. jane says:

beautiful!! I love your kitchen floors. are they original? I was wondering if you can pretty please tell me what color your living room is. I’ve been looking for a color like that for a long time for our bedroom.

• Hi Jane – thanks so much! The kitchen and bathroom both have the same NEW hexagonal tile floor (ceramic, white gloss) from Olympia Tile in Toronto. But I’m glad you thought it seemed appropriate to the age of the house! That was the goal – just a little fresher, right? The living room walls are painted in one of my (and Sara’s) all time favourite colours – it’s called Pale Powder by Farrow & Ball and I’ve used it several times. It’s blue and grey and green all in one and definitely changes in the light. I love it in almost any scenario, so I’d say go for it!

9. nroot says:

So charming! I especially loved the master bedroom wallpaper–could you share the sourcing info for that?

• Thanks so much! Charming is one of my favourite words, so I’m glad you chose to it here! The wallpaper in the bedroom is called Orangerie by Farrow & Ball and it is BEAUTIFUL – especially in person because it’s created in an age old manner using wooden blocks and real paint and has such texture and character. And the colours are so subtle and timeless. I hope you get to use some in your place!

10. Steve says:

I had a great aunt that lived in Oshawa and you place has a lot of details that invoke a lot of memories of visting her. Really, really lovely.

11. Angela says:

Could you tell me what map you used above the piano! I love the colors and shape of the coast!

• Glad you like it Angela! It’s actually an old map of part of the coast of Newfoundland – given to me by my dad who got it from his dad. He had a few old maps I used in the house and you’re right, it has great colours and shape. I wanted to get it framed but ran out of money so I just pinned it to the wall with metal push pins!

12. paul says:

really nice! What is the color going up your stairs on the wall? It is a creamy but goes nice with the colors in the rest of the house but leaves the stairway open.

13. Nancy gaylord says:

Hi Micheal, This was the first post of yours that I saw. My daughter found your blog and told me that I would be very interested in it. She was right. Your sense of style, color and design are fantastic and exactly what appeals to me. I am not a professional designer but just a 67 year old retired nurse with a great love of decorating my own space. My husband and I own a small cosy antique store in the vicinity of Belleville . Although I love new and eclectic things I am partial to vintage items with lots of history. I try to mix the two. We have three little grand daughters who grew up foraging in the corners of the store and who have an appreciation of vintage and retro and new. I find that your house is so charming and beautiful. I will definitely follow your posts in the future so if you see my name pop up you will have an idea of who I am. I am not proficient in computers and I sent a similar post earlier but somehow it ended up at another designers space. She said that she would send it on to you but not sure that you received it.Hope you find this one as I have already been answering your post. You have a wonderful talent. See you in your posts. Nancy.